You are here

FAQ of Current & Potential Students

What accommodations are offered at UL Lafayette?
Accommodations are based on a student's experience with their disability and must be considered “reasonable” in the context of the academic environment.  Students meet with a disability advisor in our office to determine what types of accommodations are reasonable and appropriate given their disability.

I am a prospective student with a disability.  Do I have to tell admissions about my disability?  Will my disability influence my admission to college?
No, you are not obligated to inform the university of your disability during the admissions process.  The presence of a disability will not influence your admission to UL Lafayette.

Do I have to pay for accommodations?
Reasonable accommodations are provided by the college at no cost to the student. 

Am I required to request accommodations if I have a disability?
No. You only need to request accommodations if you want to use them in your studies. Accommodations will not be suggested or offered unless you identify yourself as a student with a disability (by coming to the Office of Disability and registering with us) and requesting them.

How do I register with ODS and request accommodations?
You will need to complete an ODS New Student Application form and submit documentation.  Once approved, you will schedule an accommodation meeting with our office.  We will discuss the types of reasonable accommodations you are eligible for at that time.  

How do I request accomodation letters? **This process has been updated Summer 2019**
Each semester, you will request accomodation letters. Read our PDF Generating Course Accomodation Letters (updated Summer 2019).

How will my professors know I am receiving accommodations and registered with ODS?
At the beginning of every semester, you will need to login to ULINK to request your letters through the disability services portal under the "Academics" tab. Accomodation letters will be emailed to you and your faculty. The letters will state that you are registered with ODS and will list your accommodations.  The letter will not state your disability.

Will my professors give me accommodations if I have not registered with ODS?
Some professors might but they are not required to.  In fact, they are not obligated to provide accommodations unless they receive the accommodation letter from ODS.

How do I schedule my tests with ODS? **This process has been updated Summer 2019**
To schedule your tests, read our PDF instructions: How To Schedule Tests with Instructor & ODS.

Does the university have to provide assistive technology and computer equipment for my use at home if it will accommodate my disability?
The law does not require the college to purchase personal services, equipment, or aids for you.  You are responsible for providing your own equipment at home as well as any personal services you may need while on campus.  Keep in mind that ODS has an adaptive computer lab for your use while on campus and during business hours. 

I think I have a disability but I have not been diagnosed.  Does the college have to pay for my evaluation?
No.  It is the student’s responsibility to determine whether or not a disability is present.  The law does not require the university to identify and evaluate students who may have disabilities.

Will ODS play a role in obtaining my medical documentation in order to register for services?
It is the student’s responsibility to obtain medical documentation needed for registering with the Office of Disability.

I cannot use print textbooks and need audio books.  Why must I pay for a copy of a textbook I cannot use?
Textbook publishers require that the student purchase the print version of the textbook in order to obtain a free electronic text copy of the book.  This is done to protect the publisher’s and author’s copyright interests.  If you need to use an audio version of a textbook, you must get the information to the ODS testing coordinator as soon as you have it.  It may take a few weeks to receive audio books from the publisher.

I was not registered with ODS last semester but I had a problem with a class.  Can I request retroactive accommodations?
No.  Universities are not required to administer retroactive accommodations.  Students must inform the university of their disability (by properly registering at ODS) in order to receive accommodations.

Will using accommodations make it easier for me to pass my courses?
Accommodations are not meant to make courses easier.  You are still required to do the same work as your peers and to submit college-level work.  What accommodations do is level the playing field and gives a student with a disability the same opportunity to demonstrate his or her own knowledge as his or her non-disabled peers.  Accommodations guarantee equal ACCESS not SUCCESS.