Faculty Rights and Responsbilities
Faculty Have the RIGHT To:
- Documentation from ODS. Any faculty who is approached by a student requesting accommodations is entitled to verification of a student’s eligibility for requested accommodations. Such verification will be in the form of a letter from ODS and delivered by the student.
Please Note: The Office of Disability Services is the ONLY office designated to review disability documentation and determine eligibility for appropriate accommodations. Faculty should not review this documentation.
- Expect the student to initiate accommodation request. If the student is taking exams at ODS, expect the exams to be administered in a secure and monitored environment.
Faculty Have the RESPONSIBILITY to:
- Provide accommodations only to students who are registered with ODS and who provide the appropriate accommodation letter. It is NOT your responsibility to provide accommodations to students who are not registered with ODS.
Please Note: Accommodations do NOT apply retroactively. If the student neglects to request accommodations from his or her instructors, those instructors are under no obligation to retroactively correct for this. Accommodations apply to present and future, not past, events.
- Act immediately upon getting a student’s request for accommodations by contacting ODS if you are unsure about the request.
- If a student is testing at ODS you are responsible for getting the exam to the ODS office PRIOR to the exam date and time. You can get the exam to us by fax, email, or hand delivery. A student should never be sent with the exam.
- Identify and establish essential functions, abilities, skills, and knowledge of course material and evaluate students on this basis. Students with disabilities should meet the same course expectations as their peers. We strongly recommend this information be addressed on the syllabus.